Monday, May 09, 2005

I Now Live in Manhattan Part 3 - The Aftermath

3. The Aftermath

I actually feel quite settled.

I need many things, but all of the essentials are taken care of. Tonight I will go to Pier 1 to return the oversized silverware tray and will buy plates and bowls and glasses. I need a kitchen table and chairs and perhaps a love seat. I need a kitchen cart and a colander and a toaster oven. I need a more aesthetically pleasing alarm clock. I need tupperware. I need reasonable groceries.

I woke up early yesterday because I was excited. I made lists and unpacked shoes while D unpacked books and videos and CDs. His goal is to eliminate boxes. Whatever he wants is fine with me as long as progress is being made.

I took my first shower in the new apartment yesterday. It was an adventure. At first it wouldn't get hot, then it was too hot, then it was freezing. The shower curtain, which is too small, kept smothering me because I'd opened the bathroom window for a cross draft. This left me with about a millimeter of width in which to shower. Another good thing about being small is that you can take showers in ridiculously tight spaces. Although, I did drop the soap this morning and it was not easy to pick up, but I did not have to step outside of the shower to do so.

D and I went to Home Depot and bought shelving and brackets and other goodies.

We then went for breakfast at this adorable place on 9th and 35th that serves breakfastallday and had a special involving scrambled eggs with cream cheese and scallions! Yes!

We then headed out to Brooklyn to see the Basquiat show at the Brooklyn Museum. I was very tired and the show was overwhelming. Any Basquiat painting or drawing in a group of other work is a superstar. An entire show of Basquiat is a bit much to handle, especially when you're tired. You could look at one of his paintings for five hours. It's hard to digest 100 of them in an hour and a half.

After Basquiat, we headed back into the city where we went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought more fabulous things such as a curtain and curtain rod for my bedroom, bathroom shelves, and hooks for the kitchen. I went to The Container Store afterwards, my new favorite place on the planet, and bought a reasonably sized silverware tray and some other space saving miracles.

After our errands, we saw Kingdom of Heaven at the 34th Street Theater, which is a 5 minute walk from my new apartment. Orlando Bloom. Yes. I said "If Orlando Bloom played Anakin Skywalker the world would be a better place." It was surprisingly good. I had no desire to see it but D, a fan of all movies epic, really wanted to. It is weird to me that back-in-the-day, kings would just fight battles with the troops, and seemingly without extra protection. I wish W had to do that. If he did, I imagine things would be very different.

Back at the apartment, we put up shelves and hooks and I cleaned the floor with the new wet-jet-whatever-thing (not Swiffer - I forget what it is) I bought at Home Depot.

We finished watching Star Wars while eating Mint Chocolate Cookie and then went to bed.

Phew.

Busy. But feeling settled, which is not a feeling I've felt since moving to NYC.

Tonight we will put up more shelves and organize books on them. If ambitious, we will hang things on the wall. If not, we will watch episodes of The Muppet Show on DVD.

Regardless, we will have fun in the new apartment because it is an awesome apartment. And it is all mine.

Mwa ha ha!!!!!

2 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

Yes, but I bet you had to do the squatting-slowly-down thing that one has to do in order to pick something up while wearing a miniskirt. Because if you just bend over, your head will hit the tiles.

Beth said...

I think your shower scares me, Leah. Not that mine is much bigger... I am confused about the shower curtain being too short. Aren't all shower curtains the same length? Is it possible that the curtain rod is just too high? Hmmm...