Friday, April 01, 2005

The Results Are In

D tried the Chocolate Lucky Charms this morning. Verdict?

"Well, um, they just taste like regular Lucky Charms. Or maybe, at best, marshmallows mixed with, like, low grade store brand Cocoa Puffs."

Heh.

Talk of Cocoa Puffs (which I don't really like, but which remind of Cookie Crisps, which rule!) only convinced me further that D and I will be going here while we are in Philly this weekend.

Which reminds me - Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Awesome. Newly released French Toast Crunch? Pointless and vile.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just saw Kate Hudson and Chris Robinson walking their baby outside of the building. They were very cute. I actually had my camera with me (long story) and momentarily thought of snapping a photo, but then thought better of becoming paparazzi.

I find this precious because for some reason it is heartwarming to see them acting like regular parents. Well, regular parents who don't have to work on a Friday afternoon. I guess I just assumed that a rockstar type would have better things to do, such as being "in the studio" or "with another woman."

Cute.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am wearing black today to honor the passing of Mitch Hedberg.

I'm still upset. We just saw him - not even two weeks ago. I am so glad I had the opportunity to see him. I blame the catty (thanks for editing, E.Pi) bachelorettes who caused him to be paranoid at the show. They drove him back to drugs, or whatever it was that caused his heart attack. Stupid bachelorettes. They probably don't even know that he's dead.

I'm trying to understand why I'm so distressed, and I think its because Mitch Hedberg was so innocent. His comedy was never offensive or charged or distasteful. He was observational and light and fabulous.

I also credit him with being one of the only things that helped my mood a few years back. I hit a rough patch a few years ago, during which I was a mess and couldn't be consoled by anything. Sister said "Dude, you need to listen to Mitch Hedberg." She then launched into an impression and I was like "I don't know, man, I don't know if I can just sit and listen to something right now" and she insisted, saying "Seriously, Leah, he's the funniest guy ever."

I proceeded to sit on the floor of her bedroom in Medway and laugh until the tears transformed from sad tears into the kind that flow in response to uncontrollable laughter. My parents and brother, who heard us laughing, appeared in Sister's room and soon joined us. It was awesome.

I am going to buy a Quadruple Tree Hotel t-shirt in Mitch's honor, and will wear it with pride.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is weird how people are dying.

Johnnie Cochran, Terry Schiavo, Mitch Hedberg... I just heard that Frank Purdue died (I thought he was already dead?) and probably soon The Pope.

Weird.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 comments:

Beth said...

"It's weird how people are dying." I almost find that statement funny... but I know what you mean. I am starting to have an emotional reaction to the pope dying. Before I was like, "Yeah, it's inevitable... people die" but then I realized that it is emotionally heavy for lots of reasons. Dude, my BROTHER went to ROME to see the pope before he died. He celebrated Easter Sunday mass at the Vatican and received the Eucharist! Wow. It's crazy. My brother - you know the one I am talking about - has been so anti-Catholic and anti-church and anti-Easter. It's an amazing transition.

"caddy" bachelorettes? What does that mean? Do you mean "catty"? I'm sorry, I don't mean to be bitchy... I'm just confused. Maybe I should re-read your blog.

Dr. Maureen said...

Johnnie Cochran died? What? I have to start reading the paper instead of blogs all day. They did not mention this on NPR that I heard.

Anonymous said...

the cereal bar looks surreal! (couldn't help with the pun...) i want deatils about that place, why aren't there cool places like that in boston? have i not looked hard enough?

hope you enjoyed philly-
xo
pw

ps-the job i applied for in NYC didn't work out-details soon...

Dr. Maureen said...

By the by, I am so pissed that Cereality came to be the year AFTER I left Philly. I would have haunted that place.

Beth said...

I am gaining more appreciation for Mitch and his comedy now because of YOU, Leah Lar, after reading his website and stuff about him online. I won't pretend that I understand the Quadruple Tree joke... something about Doubletree hotels, but whatever, the guy was definitely SMART and FUNNY!