Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Celebrity Sighting!

Ah, New York.

In celebration of stonelessness and my potentially-awesome-apartment find yesterday, D and I went on a date. A friend of D's had recommended a vegetarian-friendly Mexican Place around St. Mark's and 2nd. We headed down there, but there was no such restaurant to be found.

I wasn't concerned. I was just happy to actually be happy. I was happy to be holding my boyfriend's hand while not being paranoid about his thoughts. Things seem ok again. Things seem normal. Things are back on track.

We meandered up and down St. Mark's looking for a place to eat. I think we were between 2nd and 3rd when we passed a large SUV with an open window.

After we passed it, D said "Was that who I think it was?"

"YES!" I exclaimed, giddy with excitement.

It was Russell Simmons !!!!

Giddy.

I was giddy for two reasons:

1. Russell Simmons! This was a great celebrity sighting because Russell Simmons is not only a celebrity, but is someone who commands respect. Russell Simmons has changed the face of the planet. He has had impact. And he is a good man.

2. It was an absurd celebrity sighting. I imagine hip hop related sightings always are. We were literally just walking down the street and Russell Simmons is sitting in the backseat of an armored SUV, looking out at the people on the sidewalk. Turns out one of his lackeys was going back and forth between the car window and this take-out restaurant, bringing food to him. The lackey would hand it to him through the window, and then Russell Simmons would eat it with the window open.

D said "Do you want to walk by again?" Of course I did. I tried to smile at him, to make eye contact, but Russell Simmons was far too involved with his falafel or burrito or whatever it was.

D said "You should ask him what he's eating."

I really wanted to know what Russell Simmons was doing downtown. What interest could he possibly have in that area?

I said "D, let's get in a cab and stalk Russell Simmons. I really want to see where he's going." I fantasized about following him. And then, his SUV would actually be some sort of Batmobile-like-vehicle that would sense its being followed and would launch missiles at us that had little LL Cool J's on them.

Yes.

Instead of following Russell Simmons, we found a little Italian restaurant and had a nice dinner.

And then we made a Snow Speeder out of Legos.

And felt completely normal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should have stalked him. I bet he would have liked that.