Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Mousse

I got back from Indie Rock Karaoke about an hour and a half ago and called D, who is in Florida. My plan was to, while talking to him, upload my photos from Indie Rock Karaoke and post them to the blog.

We were having a nice conversation, though, so I didn't think it fair to engage in side projects while talking about "expectations" and "kids" and "loving someone the most and being loved most by them."

Sigh.

I did manage to upload the photos, though, but am too incoherent to post them in any cohesive manner. I will get to it tomorrow.

In the meantime, in the spirit of photoblogging which is my new obsession, you can take a look at this dessert I had last night at Cafe Mozart on the Upper West Side.

ShowLetter

I met LL after work and pre-hair-fixing for dinner. (Sidenote: it is adorable that my sole female friend in NYC has the same initials as yours truly). The place was very New York - kind of swanky on the inside with a dude playing jazzy/lounge piano. He wasn't there when we got there, so we were seated at a table directly behind the piano. When he started, my back was literally up against his back. I contemplated talking about him while he played, but instead decided to pretend that I was in a movie that was taking place in New York, and that LL and I were engaging in sophisticated and witty dialogue about very important things, and not talking about one-night-stands and roommate issues like we really were.

The food was good. It was also lovely to look at, as evidenced by the fact that two separate groups of people who had already eaten stopped at our table to ask us what we were eating. We were full after dinner, but we asked for the dessert menu anyway, hoping we would not be tempted.

Alas, there were no fewer than like 400 desserts. I'm not kidding. It was three pages of a big menu in very small font. I went with the peanut butter mousse cake (see above) which was chocolate cake with a layer of chocolate mousse, a layer of peanut butter mousse, and a layer of white chocolate mouse, with reeses peanut butter cups strewn about. Heaven.

I got back to Williamsburg, feeling like I was going to vomit, at around 10:00, when Roommate was kind enough to dye my hair back to its rightful state, just in time for Indie Rock Karaoke tonight, which was all for nothing since Interpol wasn't there.

It is late now and its been ages since I've had a good night's sleep. Tonight I can't even get 6 hours. Damn you, photographs! I got a little less than 6 last night, and about 5 the night before. D returns from Florida late-night tomorrow and wants to see me. Missing someone is a lovely feeling. Knowing you won't sleep for the next few days is not. The good news is that in spite of being dead tired I feel very good, most likely because things are being accomplished and thoughts are being formulated.

OK. I am really going to sleep now.

If I fall asleep in five minutes I'll get 5 hours and 45 minutes of blissful sleep.

9 comments:

Banalities said...

Is her name Lois Lane or Lana Lang? What if you only made friends with people who have alliterative names? Eventually, you'd befriend a superhero, and s/he can rescue you from street thugs. Or make the earth spin backwards when you dye your hair wrong so it'll be like it never happened.

Dr. Maureen said...

You know, the turning the world backwards to reverse time thing bugged me even when I was 7 and saw that movie for the first time. It doesn't work like that! Time doesn't go forward *because* the Earth spins counterclockwise. All that would have happened is that he would have killed all life on earth, and I don't think that was what he was going for.

Leah Lar said...

You know what's funny? When I read Banalaties' comment, I had two thoughts:

1. A friend of mine used to call me "Lois" in high school and I'd completely forgotten until this moment and

2. I bet if Mo reads this comment she's going to be all up in arms about how TIME WOULD NOT GO BACKWARDS if the world spun really really fast in its opposite rotation.

Banalities said...

Mo, it makes me laugh that you had to explain the relationship between the forward progression of time and the rotation of the earth.

I think it's the part when you put asterisks around the word 'because'.

Anonymous said...

wait. what? you *can't* reverse time by spinning earth backwards? then how come it only takes 1.21 jigowatts of energy to run a time-traveling delorean?

Dr. Maureen said...

Banalities: You mean the *nonexistant* relationship between the rotation of the earth and the progression of time? NONEXISTANT, I SAY!

Anonymous: You see, the flux capacitor works on a principle completely unrelated to the rotation of the earth. It works on the little bzzt bzzt thingies that every mad scientist must have in his or her lab, right next to the container of dry ice and water. So no problems there.

And while we're on the subject of Superman, I saw the one with the bad guys from Krypton last year. I don't remember noticing this upon the first viewing, but at the end, during the cataclysmic battle between Superman and General Zod, all the Metropolisians continue to go about their daily business. Except for the ones on the bus. You should watch it again; it's pretty funny. There are people buying ice cream, a guy on the pay phone, people in the flower shop. All whilst four flying superpowers fling vehicles at each other 30 feet in the air.

Banalities said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Banalities said...

Hey -- it's still shouldn't need to be explained.

I've never had a problem with the physical impossibility of that scene. The movie's about a space-faring infant who gains superhuman powers from solar energy upon reaching puberty and who not only finds Margot Kidder not annoying but also falls in love with her -- so my suspension of disbelief can stay suspended when it countenances certain, how shall we say... 'nonexistent' relationships.

But the damn thing doesn't make sense as a plot device! All the damage he fixed and people he saved wouldhave been undone when he restarted time. In which case, why not turn back time until two weeks before, when he could have stopped the bad guy *before* he launched his missiles? And again -- not to discount my own assumption -- for MARGOT KIDDER?

Dr. Maureen said...

Well any story that involves time travel usually results in this kind of thing. For example, why the hell did Marty McFly only give himself ten lousy minutes to warn Doc Brown about the Libyans? Ten minutes? He had a friggin' time machine! Plus, he was not unfamiliar with the starter problems on the Delorean. So even taking into consideration the risks of meeting himself, he really should have given himself 30 minutes at least.

So yeah, I see your point, but I would have been willing to suspend disbelief on that front had Superman found a more rational way to reverse time.

Hey, and you know what? Sound doesn't travel in space, so Star Wars is all messed up. And who the HELL designed the Empire's trademarked "Very Unsteady Attack Walkers"? Was he a subversive? Maybe the same guy who made sure there was a weakness on every Death Star.

:)

PS In _Poltergeist_, there's NO WAY IN HELL the mom would have put her kids to bed in the room that was the gateway to hell a half hour ago.