Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Retirement

Dear Open Mic,

It is with the deepest regret that I write to inform you that I will no longer be a performer of music. The past week has been a fabulous experience, and I am saddened that my illustrious career will be coming to an end. My time with you has been of great value to me, both on professional and personal levels. You have been nothing but kind, encouraging, and supportive.

It took me a while - an entire week - to realize that this is not the right fit, and that I must seek fulfillment elsewhere. I do not have the appropriate skill set to serve your needs. This is detrimental to your organization as well as to my self esteem.

I wish you continued success in the future. I hope that the other performers in the organization will continue to pass out their very professional CDs and flyers, that they will shamelessly promote their professional gigs while the little guy suffers anxiety attacks, and that they will buff up their mailing lists. They are all extremely, obscenely, ridiculously and amazingly talented and I know you will all go far in life.

Thank you, open mic, for giving me this opportunity to realize that I should remain a studio musician. (Or, perhaps, just play open mics in places that are not New York City.)

Sincerely,

Leah

6 comments:

Beth said...

Leah! Do not give up so easily! You just have to find the right environment to practice and get comfortable sharing your art. It is something that you need to do. The point of making music is that you can share it. You do have the gifts and talents necessary. I think this particular open mic that you went to is just not right for you. Again, I have to make the karaoke analogy. It took us a while to find the right karaoke place so that we were both comfortable and able to perform and enjoy the scene. It is a difficult combination. Eventually, we got so used to the karaoke scene that we could handle virtually any bar or club with a mic and a tv screen. (This is why hip hop karaoke threw us so badly, no tv screen.) You will eventually get comfortable with the piano and the mic and the other aspiring musicians, but first you just have to find the right "scene" that makes you comfortable.

Hang in there, dude. I love you, LBF!

Anonymous said...

There are always going to be people better than you. Big deal.

Leah Lar said...

Yes, there will always be better people. And cooler people. But its difficult to be the worst at something. A wise friend said that open mics are more competition than anything else. Its particularly difficult to deal with this sort of thing when one doesn't have a single competitive molecule in one's body.

Bah. I just have to find a different open mic to play or, as snr suggested, drink more and bring an entourage.

Anonymous said...

that's rubbish and you know it. only 1 person out there gets to be the best and everyone else is below them. likewise, only one person gets to be the worst. thus, the odds are that you are neither of these people and probably never will be. don't be intimidated by the open mic. is it called closed mic night? I think not!

Anonymous said...

Whatever. play if an when it'll be fun for you. i've never heard you at open mic, but if you think you're not good enough, then chances are you probably arent so why make yourself feel bad and why make everyone who listens you feel bad?

Anonymous said...

Leah, don't give up just yet.

First of all, it's normal to feel this way.

Second of all, don't worry about how much better others are, there will always be better.

You are great with lyrics, you sing well, and you have the creative ability. The only thing missing is practicing in front of an audience.

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to quit graduate school...

don't give up..