Thursday, August 24, 2006

What’s Wrong With Swapping A Sandwich?

Or, what’s wrong with me?

Mother and Sister are coming to visit this weekend. While I am REALLY looking forward to seeing them, I am dreading the usual “I’m up for anything” and then the outright rejection or passive aggressive “sure, that could be nice” in response to anything I suggest. We can’t do anything that involves money, as there seems to be none these days for any of us, myself included. We can’t do anything that involves walking. We can’t do anything that involves too long a subway ride, because it will be too hot or there will be too many stairs or people, which is fine with me, because why endure a long journey when there are amazing things nearby?

I’ve been frantically searching for something free for us to do. I’ve come up nearly empty handed, which is bizarre given that it is summer and summer in New York City means free entertainment.

Well, there is free entertainment but not the sort of entertainment that will be entertaining to Mother. Understandable. New York City isn't exactly parent-friendly.

Mother is, in fact, easily entertained. She enjoys nothing more than gazing upon her children interacting and enjoying one another’s company. That's awesome. Rather than state that she would prefer to just sit in the apartment and exist, she says “I’ll do whatever everyone else wants to do.”

There’s free classical music on Barge Music this weekend. I thought this would be an excellent use of the afternoon, until it occurred to me that it is Father who likes classical music and that this may not be fun for anyone other than me.

I wanted to find something quirky, something that would only happen in New York City, something that would be new and entertaining to Mother.

You can imagine the thrill I experienced when I came upon a listing for a Sandwich Swap in Prospect Park! You bring a sandwich, cut in half, and submit it to the judges. You keep the other half of your sandwich. You are then given half of someone else’s sandwich. You get to eat portions of two different sandwiches (or more, if you bring more than one), drink beverages, and are given cupcakes! A giant weird picnic in Prospect Park! Perfect!

D and I are enthusiastic. We’ve been talking about our sandwiches – will we be crazy? Will we be gourmet? Will we just bring a peanut butter sandwich? Will we put potato chips in the sandwich? The possibilities (and sandwich-related discussions) are endless.

Sister said “But how will you know if someone has peed in your sandwich?”

I’m sure Mother is thinking the same thing, as she has declared that she’s not into the sandwich party. Sister said “Mom, you can just eat all of yours if you’re worried.”

But this defeats the point.

Visiting New York City and not wanting to do anything defeats the point.

We will most likely end up sitting around in the apartment on a beautiful Saturday afternoon (although there is the threat of rain, which means no sandwiches! no! NO!) while everyone else is frolicking and swapping sandwiches and listening to classical music and reveling in Charlie Parker and sipping drinks on the roof and seeing art and the world. I suppose it's not a bad thing to relax. But being forced to relax by someone other than yourself isn't really realxing.

Why are we so afraid? I'm afraid of things. I'm afraid of too many things. I can't fault anyone for being afraid.

But what’s so scary about sandwiches?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sister is hilarious/awesome.

You know someone hasn't peed in your sandwich because the sandwich maker brings a whole sandwich and only trades half. The judges get to choose which half; the sandwich maker must eat the other half. That is how you know no one has peed in the half-sandwich you receive.

The outstanding problem is how to tell whether there is iocane powder in your sandwich.

I'm sure someone has already made this joke.

Dr. Maureen said...

You should take them for egg creams. I realize that will kill only an hour, but it is an hour in which you will get to drink egg creams. (And I just now checked the recipe: it IS soda and not tonic, so the sugar content is probably pretty low.)

Beth said...

Oh my goodness. Who are these judges? Are they food inspectors? Do they work for the FDA? I would NEVER eat a sandwich that some random person had prepared in their home and then brought to a PARK to eat. I barely tolerate food prepared by people I KNOW! What if they didn't wash their HANDS before making the sandwich? That is worse than peeing in the sandwich because pee is, technically, sterile - until it comes out. Just touching the sandwich could be disastrous. Are you going to prepare the sandwiches with rubber gloves on? What if someone makes an egg salad sandwich or puts mayonnaise in their sandwich. Will the sandwiches be refrigerated before you eat them? Will they be wrapped in plastic? Will I be able to sit by myself in my bubble while you all eat strange sandwiches? The HORROR! What if someone brings a poison sandwich and trades BOTH halves? How do you know!!!??? (It would be entertaining to watch, but I definitely would not participate.)

Beth said...

P.S. The sad fact is that summer is over and therefore, fun and free events are gone. Until next year...

Anonymous said...

Beth,

I thought it was a cool idea (i was imagining someone giving me the most awesome peanut butter/honey/banana sandwich), but now you've got me scared thinking about the possibilities!!!

Ok, so if I were to make a sandwich to give to you, I think I would take pictures of me wearing latex gloves while making your sandwich. and I want you to do the same.. then we can trade and both be happy!

-German

PS. I got a date for graduation in February 2007!!!!