Wednesday, June 28, 2006

It All Fits In A BackPack

Alternate Title: Why I hope to have boys because the world is a cruel, cruel place for women when it comes to packing.

Readers of My Mundane Life In Song know that the bane of my existence is packing. I was quite pleased with myself last night as I packed, proud of how little I am bringing on my 11 day trip to Europe.

Until, of course, I found out what D is bringing, and then I wanted to cry. D can fit everything in an average sized backpack. Everything!

This is what D packed:

1. 10 pairs of socks
2. 10 boxers
3. 5 t-shirts (am trying to convince him to bring one nice shirt in case we go out, which we will, because we'll be on vacation)
4. two pairs of shorts
5. one bathing suit
6. one pair of pants
7. sunglasses
8. dop kit
9. eyeglasses
10. two books
11. magazine
12. flip flops
13. passport
14. guide books

This is what I packed:

1. 11 pairs of socks
2. 11 pairs of underwear
3. 5 short-sleeved shirts (down from 7 short-sleeved shirts)
4. 3 long-sleeved shirts (down from 4 long-sleeved shirts)
5. 5 tank tops
6. 1 hoodie (down from 2 hoodies)
7. one pair of shorts
8. two skirts
9. two dresses
10. two bathing suits
11. two dresses to wear over bathing suits
12. shorts/tank tops for the beach
13. bag to put stuff in at the beach
14. one pair corduroys
15. two pairs jeans
16. sunglasses
17. collection of toiletries - which, of course, is vast compared to a boy's and contains things like hair products, facial cleanser (because I don't want to break out while on vacation!), tampons, and, well, other girl things
18. two pairs extra eyeglasses
19. three books
20. sandals for beach
21. saucony's (for when feet hurt)
22. chucks (for when feet don't hurt)
23. cute purple ballet slipper-like shoes for dresses and night's out
24. hair dryer
25. hair straightener
26. IPod
27. IPod charger
28. fabulous new Le Sportsac bag for transporting cameras etc.
29. Canon camera bag
30. Canon camera
31. zoom lens
32. battery charger
33. Olympus camera bag
34. Olympus camera
35. battery charger
36. makeup, makeup, makeup
37. hair accessories - headbands, elastics, barrettes to deal with unpredictable new haircut
38. Advils, Peptos, other goodies in case of kidney stones
39. passport
40. phone numbers, paperwork for flights, paperwork for hotels, restaurant listings, etc.

Is that it? Yes, I think so. D said "Can you make it so you don't have to check in any luggage?" A girl cannot pack a small carry-on suitcase for 11 days. It is impossible.

And with that, folks, I'm off to LondonandValencia! My Mundane Life In Song will be on hiatus until July 10th.

Until then...

3 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

Did you remember to leave room for souvenier purchases? I never remember to do that. Also, make D carry your stuff. Because life isn't fair, and it's harder to be a woman. And we NEED a thousand pairs of shoes, so shut it, brother-in-law. (OK, that was sort of a tangent.)

Dr. Maureen said...

Also try not to leave one of your bags at home or sitting on the floor at the baggage claim at Heathrow. Oh, wait, you're not the one who does that.

Anonymous said...

Hey, great timing - by total coincidence, I am on my way to the Ukraine, so I am going to use D's list to do my packing! I hope the trip is going awesome!
- Canadian Jon