Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Puppets

I just ate lunch in the, gasp, cafeteria, and someone said "I'm already discouraging my child from liking science."

Someone said "Isn't your kid like 9 months old?"

"Yes, but you can never start too soon! As soon as he's old enough, I am going to take him to Wall Street and make him look at tall buildings and watch the stock exchange."

Others chimed in, and said "If I had kids, I'd do the same thing" and "I'd NEVER let my kid become a scientist."

Heh.

It's comforting to know that there are many people who are stuck.

It's sad, though, because I rarely meet anyone who's like "Science! YEAH!"

I suspect that this sentiment is unique to my particular field, in that my particular field is not only extremely frustrating but is notorious for not paying well.

Then again, do any adults actually like what they do? Does anyone feel like they chose the right major? Is there anyone who can say "If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it exactly this way?" Is there anyone who hasn't thought about completely starting over?

If I had tons of money, I'd start over.

But would I then get it right? I have no idea. Maybe people just hate working, and learn to hate whatever they do because its work.

Yesterday I was thinking "What I should have done was become a puppeteer. That would be an awesome job."

Yes, folks, puppeteer. I consciously thought "My life would be far better if I worked with puppets." Damn you, Team America, for forcing me to rethink my entire life!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forget science! Just read it from magazines, and take interesting courses, but don't do a PhD in science.. it will ruin your life forever... except for a lucky few.

read this page:
http://wuphys.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html

for the truth!

-G

Dr. Maureen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dr. Maureen said...

Damn, that treatise is negative. I mean, I speak from experience when I say that you should only get your Ph.D. if you really really want it, but sheesh. Don't go by what that guy says.

Anonymous said...

yes there are people with good experiences... it's just that you must consider the odds of having a good experience in science.

yes it is going to depend on the department, on the field, and on the current situation, but, overall the big picture is how he has described..