Thursday, April 07, 2005

Palindromes

The quarterly company party was last evening.

Nostalgia was rampant. You might remember the first company party attended by MyMundaneLifeInSong as being responsible for the catch-phrase "Awshummmm...."

It's amazing how much has changed since that first party.

And how much hasn't. I felt no more comfortable at this party than the party I attended a mere two weeks after moving to NYC. My eyes weren't as bright this time, so I was pleased that D and I had a backup plan in effect.

I randomly found out on Tuesday that Todd Solondz's new film, Palindromes, was showing last night at the MOMA. The film would be introduced by Solondz, and there would be a Q & A with him and the actors afterwards.

I mentioned this to D, as more of a travesty than an option. D said "I think we should go to the movie instead of the company party."

We decided that the best thing to do would be to get tickets and then make a last minute decision.

It was, of course, sold out, but D, being a genius with little work to do, found out that more tickets would be released yesterday at noon. He was able to go to the MOMA and miraculously managed to get two free tickets. Free, you ask? Yes. A perk of being a MOMA member. This is interesting given our failed attempt at seeing a movie as part of the New Director's Series, which was $10 for members. Weird.

Anyway, the party was boring so we went to the movie.

On our way to the movie, we passed Radio City Music Hall, where many people from New Jersey were formingn crowds. Turns out Maroon 5 was playing. Awshummmm.

We waited in line outside of the MOMA with hundreds of people. I was happy to be outside on a beautiful night while buzzed with my fabulous boyfriend.

Everyone is a Todd Solondz fan. I've seen Welcome to the Dollhouse (which I don't remember well) and Happiness (which I will never forget), but did not see Storytelling, because it was released at a time when I was in, well, a bad mental state and didn't quite feel up to Todd Solondz.

In my opinion, this one is the least provocative. I'm still not sure what to think. It's interesting and challenging storytelling, but I didn't feel connected to it in the same way that I felt connected to Dollhouse and Happiness.

The jury's still out on this one, but that's generally the sign of a good movie. If you see it, let me know what you think.

Todd Solondz was nothing like I expected. I guess I expected him to be meak and morbid and dreary and monotone. He's quite animated and talkative. He's nerdy in the most endearing of ways. His Q & A session helped me to appreciate the movie.

Todd Solondz at MOMA 4.6.05 (1/2)

Ellen Barkin, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and a bunch of the other actors were on-hand to discuss the film. With each of these interview-type-things I attend, I gain more of an appreciation for writing/directing and less of an appreciation for acting.

Not that I don't appreciate acting. It's hard. For me, it would be much harder than either writing or directing. In fact, it would be the worst of tortures. Acting is a talent, and I appreciate that.

I guess I just don't find actors and actors' stories/techniques as interesting or relevant as those of a writer or director.

Everyone in my class gasps when an actor appears. For example, when Daniel Day-Lewis was in class I thought people were going to faint. A murmer literally went through the audience. I found the discussion with his wife, who wrote and directed The Ballad of Jack and Rose, much more valuable. Then again, I didn't like the movie all that much (aside from Daniel Day-Lewis' performance), so maybe I just wanted to leave.

I don't know.

I found myself not caring what Ellen Barkin had to say, unless she was talking about the way Todd Solondz directed her.

Celebrity is a weird thing, especially here. Why are people famous? Because we've seen their face projected really hugely on a movie screen?

It's understandable to respect people for being good at their craft. Yes.

But why the murmer? Why was my initial response "Oooh! Ellen Barkin!!!! WOW!"

She did say something really true, though. She pointed out that Todd Solondz's movies and characters are appealing because he doesn't judge. His lack of judgment makes things complicated, but in a sentimental and sympathetic way that results in amazing filmmaking.

OK.

I ought to work.

Until tomorrow, dear readers.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Leah, my dear, have I told you lately that I love your life? I am jealous. Not that I care about Ellen Barkin, either, but I am jealous that you get to even make a STATEMENT like that! Sigh... green with envy.

Dr. Maureen said...

Yeah, I feel the same way. Leah goes out all the time for cocktails and karaoke and movies with star appearances, and I... go to the gym. Sometimes.

Banalities said...

I just stay home and use my imagination to meet celebrities. And then do illegal or inappropriate thing things to/with them. Like that one time when Natalie Portman and I went around the world and made out in front of various religious edifices. Or when Halle Berry and I ran over geriatrics in her SUV. Or when Owen Wilson and I broke into the Justice League Hall of Records and changed Batman's real name to Peepee McPeepers.

Hahahahaha. You should have seen his *face*.

Anonymous said...

I agree.. Maroon 5 is sooooo UN-new york. I bet there were some people from connecticut in the crowd too. BARF.