Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Head Shot

http://villagevoice.com/news/0506,murphy,60897,6.html

I am glad someone wrote this article. I've been peeved with the way the media has been obsessed with the Nicole duFresne murder, plastering her head shot everywhere, referring to her as "an actress" and "a beauty."

People are murdered all the time in NY. They aren't usually, however, pretty and white.

It is an awful thing. Truly awful.

The sensationalism, as well, is truly awful. The drama - she died in her fiance's arms! Why was her fiance so quick to talk about this? Why wasn't he just, well, sad? I'm surprised we haven't seen his head shots yet.

Or, maybe people are obsessed for good reasons, to teach New Yorkers what NOT to do in a mugging. My mother, frantic, was like "Oh my god - do you live near there? Do you go out there? Oh my, oh my, oh my." I said "Mom, seriously, the resurgence of McGruff the Crime Dog has taught me not to antagonize muggers. I'll just give them the money instead of taunting them. You have nothing to worry about."

Seriously. I saw a picture of McGruff the Crime Dog somewhere online with a list of things to-do and not-to-do while being mugged.

This is a terrible thing, and scary, and upsetting, and sad, and she didn't deserve this, antagonism towards the mugger or not. This is not, however, non-stop-updates worthy.

Bah. I just think seeing her headshot non-stop is deranged.





No comments: